Welcome

This blog is coming from the mind of one mama who loves to read and review different products. I will also find contests for you to enter. This blog is separate from my family blog. Enjoy and please feel free to add your comments :)

Monday, February 6, 2012

Guest Post: By Heather a Mesothelioma Survivor

Today my guest post comes from Heather a Mesothelioma Survivor. I was so happy when she contacted me about wanting to do something for my blog. I always love to hear stories from any person who has survived any type of cancer. She is a fighter and a wonderful person. Thanks so much Heather for your post. I hope this helps to give hope with anyone that is going through the same or similar trial.

Heather Von St. James - Mesothelioma Survivor Blog

Hope in a Time of Fear: A Mother's Journey with Cancer

I’ve always been accused of seeing the glass as half full. Yes,
I am a chronic optimist, and that ability served me very well in
my life, particularly when I was diagnosed with a deadly form of
cancer at the young age of 36 only a few short months after the
birth of my daughter.

In November of 2005, I was diagnosed with malignant pleural
mesothelioma. There I was, a new mother with a 3-month-old baby, hearing those three dreadful words: "You Have Cancer."

I had two choices: I could give up and wallow in self pity while
cursing God, or I could face this diagnosis head on with the
optimism and determination I have put forth throughout my life.

I put on my rose colored glasses and decided to fight for my
daughter and see her grow up, learn, and experience her life for
myself.

Cancer is arguably the worst experience anyone can endure in
his or her lifetime. However, my life was changed for the
better because of my diagnosis. I didn't choose to be a victim.
Instead, I chose to make light of a horrifying experience to
erase the fear and give others like me the hope to carry on. It
also may be because I had the good fortune to be referred to one
of the world's leading mesothelioma doctors.

Whatever the reason, I chose to find the good, and it served
me well. My surgery to remove the tumor was scheduled for
Groundhogs Day in 2006. It was for this reason that I nicknamed
my tumor "Punxsutawney Phil" and, from that point forward,
celebrate Groundhogs Day as "Lungleavin' Day," the day my tumor
was removed, as a reminder that focusing on the good that comes
from an otherwise bad situation helped me conquer my fear to
further live and celebrate life.

An additional blessing from having cancer is all the amazing
people, other mesothelioma survivors, and people who are
committed to bringing about awareness to this disease along the
way. They are now my dearest friends.

My life has much more purpose to it now, and I want to continue
to give hope to those who are touched by this life-altering
disease. There is hope, if you choose to pursue it.

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing story! Thank you so much for sharing! I am so glad things turned well for you and that you're here to share your story. It truly is amazing. I have lost many family members (one of them just lost the battle a couple of days ago) to various forms of cancer. It's a horrible, horrible thing to go through. I love your positive look on things. Enjoy your new life! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete

New background